Because of visa and work permit requirements, we are only able to consider applications from those with the right to work in the EU.
Applications are invited for the post of Assistant Director of Studies at International House, Viseu, Portugal, starting 1st September 2017. This is an ideal post for an enthusiastic teacher who may already have held a responsibility post or who is keen to develop in this area. You will be joining a motivated and professional staff, in a school which places a strong emphasis on student welfare and teacher development.
International House-Viseu opened in 1983 and is situated in 2 buildings in the centre of town.There are 11 classrooms, a computer room, a sitting-room, a teachers' room, a bar and a garden. Six classrooms are equipped with IWBs.
At present there are 560 students, ranging in ages from 6 to 60, attending General English Courses on the school premises or in 2 off-site centres for 2 or 3 hours a week. There are also a few in-company contracts which at time of writing account for approx. 50 students.
The teaching staff at present consists of the DOS, 1 Senior Teacher, 6 Full-Time teachers and four Part-Time teachers.
A suitable candidate will have an important role to play in Teachers’ and Students’ welfare and this requires a warm personality, sensitivity to the needs of teachers and students and the ability to motivate them. As the majority of the students are children and adolescents, the ideal candidate should have had considerable experience of, and enjoy, working with these age groups. We consider the abilities to show initiative and work in a team fundamental.
Duties will include:
A) EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATION
Assisting the DOS in/with:
- key aspects of running courses and Teachers support.
- writing and creating internal tests/exams and syllabi.
- Testing, interviewing and placing new students.
- Maintaining, organising and creating materials.
- Syllabus-writing for group or one-to-one courses with special needs.
- Organising and administration of internal and external exams and assessment.
Assisting the DOS in/with:
- Organising and/or conducting workshops in a regular programme of seminars for
International House teachers.
- Organising and/or conducting seminars for Teachers'Centre and other
seminars for state school teachers if/when these are requested.
- Helping teachers with timetabling and lesson-planning.
- Observation of classes.
Maximum 15 hours/week of regular classes.
- Stand-by teaching when necessary.
- Organising occasional extra-curricular activities
Experience in teaching all levels from Beginners to Proficiency and experience of teaching children and adolescents.
HOURS - Flexibility is required as far as timetable is concerned but on average a 38 hour week is expected.
SALARY - 1500€-1600€ GROSS. In addition Christmas Bonus and Summer Bonus paid in monthly instalments (2.5 paid days per month worked)