Director of Education
c. £60,000 + 10% bonus, Central London
International House London, a registered charity, operates a leading independent language school and training organisation based in Covent Garden, London. We are now seeking a Director of Education, to be our senior manager responsible for our education provision. You will need to be commercially-minded, delivering modern programmes that are market-lead, whilst having a strong educational background to ensure delivery of an academically rigorous curriculum.
Specifically you will:
- Oversee and ensure excellence in the provision of all teaching and training.
- Ensure the efficiency of our provision by achieving targeted gross margin.
- Manage academic quality control and compliance, achieving high ratings in our external assessments.
Founded in 1953, International House is widely recognised as the birthplace of modern approaches to English language teacher training. It is renowned for its excellence in teacher training as well as in the delivery of adult English, young learner and soft skills programmes, both in the UK and abroad. IH London is an affiliated member of International House World Organisation, a network of more than 150 independent language schools in 50 countries.
If you are interested in one of the world’s most revered English Language educational brands, please submit a CV and a covering letter describing how you meet the specification for the role.
For an informal conversation about the role please contact Joseph Lowe, Chief Executive,
on 020 7611 2434.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to DirectorofEducation@ihlondon.com
SUMMARY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Director of Education
£60k + 10% bonus
30 days + 8 days public holidays
Full time, 35
LINE MANAGER FOR
- Modern Languages
PURPOSE OF JOB
- Delivery of all academic services
- Improvement of external quality standards
- Ensure excellence in the provision of all teaching and training.
- Using a balance of permanent and temporary teachers to ensure the efficiency of our adult provision, achieving financial targets for gross margin as activity fluctuates.
- To manage quality control and compliance, including safeguarding, with regard to Modern Languages, Young Learners, English language and all training programmes.
- Creating a culture of continuous quality improvement leading to internal development and external recognition that enhances our reputation.
- To oversee and ensure the effective management and delivery of high quality services across all face-to-face, blended and online teaching and training.
- Work with the Director of Sales and Marketing to deliver programmes, and develop new products, that are both demanded by the market and academically rigorous.
- Oversee curriculum development, adapting our content in line with changing market demand.
- Support the Head of Young Learners, who reports to the Director of Sales and Marketing, in the operation of our young learner centres.
- Maintain a motivated teaching and training workforce that’s committed to the values and success of IH London and always puts the customer first.
- To initiate and manage a programme of continuous improvement in all programmes to meet the development targets and achieve the highest standards in all areas monitored by educational oversight bodies including EAQUALS, International House World Organisation (IHWO), the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) and Accreditation UK (British Council).
- Where required, to assist in the writing of tenders for projects within the UK and abroad.
- To be an advocate of IH London’s products and services, in line with the core values of the organisation, namely: Customer Focus, Accountability, Positivity, Open-mindedness, Professional Quality and Integrity.
- To be the Designated Safeguarding lead, managing a team of Designated Safeguarding persons, ensuring relevant and up-to-date training, recruitment practices and reporting according to best practice and statutory regulations.
- To work as part of the senior management team, contributing to and delivering on the strategic management of International House London.
To manage, in collaboration with senior management team, the following:
- Strategic and operational management of International House London
- Timely and clear reporting to the Board of Trustees
- Effective internal and external communications
- Whole school projects
- Recruitment of key staff
- Any other appropriate duties that may be required
The following are essential:
- Delta Language teaching qualification, or equivalent such as MA TESOL or MA Academic Management
Experience and knowledge:
- The ELT industry (or similar)
- Educational management
- Language teaching
- Management of / teaching or training in programmes such as Modern Languages, Young Learners, Soft-skills, foundation programmes
The following are desirable:
- Post-graduate management qualification
Experience and knowledge of:
- Teacher training e.g. CELTA training
- Experience of all types or provisions e.g. Young Learners, Higher Education, online and overseas training
- Delivering the provision of multi-site, international teaching programmes
- The bonus is dependent on the achievement of schoolwide financial targets