Job responsibilities include:
- Providing the pedagogical expertise to help continue to establish IH Bogotá as one of Colombia’s leading language teaching, teacher training and international exam centres
- Making and implementing decisions regarding syllabus, materials design and course book selection for General English, ESP, YL and Spanish as a Foreign Language courses
- Helping to timetable classes
- Teaching between 6 and 8 hours per week
- Providing ongoing professional, academic and personal support for around 35 English teachers, 5 Spanish teachers, and around 400 students
- Assisting in the organisation and implementation of ESP courses, including exam preparation (IELTS & Cambridge, English for Aviation) and others.
- Assisting the Director in promoting the school’s services to corporate and institutional clients
- Assisting with the development and implementation of publicity campaigns designed to capture students from the local market for General English, ESP and Spanish courses
- Recruiting teachers of English and Spanish, both locally and through the IH recruitment network
- Providing induction to new teachers
- In conjunction with other senior teachers and trainers, organising and delivering ongoing professional development, including classroom observation and feedback, monthly meetings and workshops.
- Helping to write placement, progress and achievement tests for all courses, as and when necessary
- Helping the Training Manager to provide Cambridge TKT training to local state school and university teachers
- Helping to train examiners for Cambridge, IELTS and TEA exams
- Helping to promote and administer exams in Bogotá and beyond.
- Delivering presentations, seminars and workshops to local school teachers about IELTS, Cambridge exams, CLIL and other EFL topics.
- Liaising with the IHLS and IHWO members, and with other local teaching organisations (e.g. British Council)
It should be stressed that the job is a demanding one, although it is also potentially very rewarding and offers many opportunities for personal and professional development. Flexibility is required as far as the time-table is concerned, but a minimum 45-hour week should be expected.
QUALIFICATIONS – The ideal candidate would have:
- A very strong EFL background (minimum DELTA, plus extensive experience).
- A liking for people and an ability to communicate effectively
- Proven organising and administrative skills
- The ability to manage and motivate staff
- The ability to cope with a wide variety of teacher and student problems and to work under stress
- An interest in the commercial side of language school management
- Experience in this kind of post, preferably (but not necessarily) in a school based in a Spanish speaking country
- A good level of Spanish (B2 or above) or an ability to learn fast.
- Experience as a Cambridge examiner and/or as a Cambridge examiner trainer (not necessary, but considered an advantage)
- Experience as a CELTA trainer (not necessary, but considered an advantage)
Other benefits include:
- Up to 4 weeks free housing on arrival
- A company cell phone
- Affiliation to the Colombian national health system (both the employer and employee contribute towards this)
If you don’t fulfil all of these requirements but feel you have the potential to do this job successfully, please don’t hesitate to apply.