International House London, a registered charity, operates a leading independent language school and training organisation based in Covent Garden, London.
Founded in 1953, International House is widely recognised as the birthplace of modern approaches to English language teacher training. It is renowned for its excellence in teacher training as well as in the delivery of adult English, young learner and soft skills programmes, both in the UK and abroad. IH London is an affiliated member of International House World Organisation, a network of more than 150 independent language schools in 50 countries, although operates independently within the organisation.
We are now seeking a Director of Studies for our General English Department. We want General English at IH London to be industry leading. We have just obtained 14 out of a possible 15 strengths in our British Council inspection; we need someone to embed the changes made to get this grade and to take them forward to this Autumn’s Eaquals and IH World Inspection.
You will be commercially minded, delivering modern programmes that are market-lead, whilst having a strong educational background to ensure delivery of an academically rigorous curriculum.
Specifically you will:
- Provide academic leadership to and innovation within the General English department
- Ensure excellence in product and service delivery
- Create an superior student-centric learning environment
- Ensure academic processes and procedures provide best practice in relation to accrediting bodies
If you are interested in applying for this position please send your most updated CV and a cover letter to Eleanor Maly, our Director of Education, at Eleanor.firstname.lastname@example.org
- The continuous and progressive development of the General English department, contributing to strategy, driving change and development objectives.
- Shaping the department to deliver new and existing quality programmes profitably.
- Managing resources, assuring quality and motivating staff to perform to the highest professional standards and the values of the organisation.
- The operational and administrative management of the department ensuring high quality and profitable delivery of all English courses and related services.
- Providing resources for and creating a culture of continuous quality improvement leading to internal development and external recognition that enhances the reputation of International House London.
Responsibilities shared with the wider Academic Management team:
- Course delivery including cover arrangements across departments.
- Whole school projects
- To ensure that all the academic requirements as stipulated by the relevant regulatory and accrediting bodies are implemented and maintained in the GE school
- To work with the Director of Education and ADoS to achieve the following academic KPIs: Class averages, Student satisfaction (NPS), Student progress, Teacher Engagement and Gross Profit Margins.
- To build a highly engaged, high performing and student-focussed teaching team with an appropriate range of expertise, through efficient recruitment procedures, robust induction, personal development plans, ongoing CPD and inspiring leadership.
- To implement agreed standards for student progress and learning outcomes; to ensure that the academic progress and needs of the students are being met.
- To manage course participant, student and stakeholder relations including dealing with complaints, seeking and managing feedback, reporting, giving advice and guidance and dealing with exclusions.
- To provide academic support and guidance to the Young Learner Department.
- To set up and oversee effective quality control systems including internal and external audits and inspections.
- To assist the Sales and Marketing in the production of tenders and the promotion and acquisition of business for the department.
- To work to deliver new products and improvements to existing ones successfully to secure future business in these areas.
- To ensure the smooth management and administration of the GE department.
- To collaborate with wider AMT and share best practice.
- To participate in industry events and training.
- To seek, develop and maintain relationships with external bodies in order to explore and, where appropriate, establish collaborative projects.
The above represents a general outline only and is likely to be adapted to meet the changing needs of the School.
The following experience, qualities, knowledge and skills are essential:
- Diploma level qualification or equivalent i.e. Cambridge Delta or Trinity Diploma TESOL
Experience and knowledge of:
- The ELT profession
- Academic management
- Adult, Young Learner English Language programmes
Qualities and Skills:
- Ability to provide direction and facilitate change through:
- Leading the department, planning and implementing change
- Encouraging innovation
- Mapping the environment in which the organisation operates
- Building the organisation’s understanding of its market and customers
- Ability to achieve results through:
- Managing a programme of complimentary projects
- Managing processes and procedures
- Managing quality systems
- Preparing for and participating in external and internal quality audits
- Managing the delivery and improvement of customer service
- Ability to manage resources including
- Monitoring and working to agreed budgets
- Excellent people management skills including:
- Developing productive working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
- Recruiting, selecting and retaining colleagues
- Building and managing teams
- Allocating and monitoring the progress and quality of work
- Supporting individuals to develop and maintain their performance
- Providing learning opportunities for colleagues
- Leading meetings
- Conflict resolution and managing poor performance
- Managing poor performance, disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Building and sustaining collaborative relationships with external professionals and organisations
Excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
- Articulating the vision of the Trust through all aspects of the role to all stakeholders
- Providing regular articles for social media to provide thought leadership in the field of ELT
- Generating content from other staff and nurturing their own profile raising
- Speaking at international conferences on leading issues within language and teacher education
- Ability to work flexibly and as part of different teams
- Ability to manage self and personal skills including
- Managing own resources and professional development
- Confidence to take initiative
- Ability to work autonomously
- Resilience – able to see complex tasks through to completion
The following skills and experience are desirable:
- Confidence in coordinating and delivering the provision of multi-site, international teaching programmes.
- Experience in social media and client engagement via social channels.
If you are interested in one of the world’s most revered English Language educational brands, please submit a CV and a covering letter describing how you meet the specification for the role.
For an informal conversation about the role please contact Eleanor Maly, Director of Education,on 020 7611 2447.