Because of visa and work permit requirements, we are only able to consider applications from those with the right to work in the EU. Full mastery of English across all 4 skills to CEFR C2/IELTS band 9 required.
If you are looking for teacher development, then IH Torun is the school to work at. We offer teacher development sessions once a week as well as free basic conversational Polish lessons once a week if required.
IH Torun was rated as excellent in many categories (including teaching, systems and procedures and the professional development available) in its last IHWO inspection, and we aim to maintain these standards for the benefit of both teachers and students.
You will be teaching up to 25 hrs (25 x 45 mins) of English each week in a fun and friendly school. You will be teaching mainly children (aged 7-12) and teens (aged 13-17) but there may also be some adult classes as well.
We offer a comprehensive teacher development programme, with weekly INSETT sessions led by our Director of Studies and Senior Teachers. Every year, we also host the IH Torun International Teacher Training Day which has some big name speakers in the world of TEFL. We are also a registered IH CAM (IH Certificate in Advanced Methodology) centre and pending interest will be offering our 2nd year teachers plus teachers of experience a place on the course (at a heavily subsidised rate). There is also an opportunity for teachers (with a minimum of 1 year's YL teaching experience) to take the IHCYLT (IH Certificate of Teaching Young Learners and Teenagers) at our sister school IH Bydgoszcz. There are also many opportunities available to take IH online courses on a variety of topics such as class routines, challenging behavior and YL Learning Styles.
Ideally we will be looking for teachers with at least 1-2 years experience. However, we will also consider applications from enthusiastic, newly qualified teachers.
Torun is a great place to live and work. Certainly a home from home! The school, which was opened in 1993, is recognised for its professionalism and dedication to teaching English. In fact, 2018 is our 25th anniversary. With a team of just 13 teachers it's a very easy place to fit in and feel comfortable!
Torun is in the north of Poland, (3hrs west of Warsaw and 2 hrs south of Gdańsk). The nearest international airport is Bydgoszcz (45km away). Torun is a beautiful city situated on the river Vistula. It's famous as being the birthplace of Copernicus and also for its delicious gingerbread.
25 x 45-minute lessons, including a range of adult, teen, YL and 1-2-1 classes.
Most teaching takes place in school from 15:45 to 21:00, Monday to Thursday. Twice a week, you may have to commute (taken by our driver) to our satelite school in Inowroclaw. This means leaving the school at 14:00 and arriving back in Torun around 21:45. There is no weekend teaching. Basic salary is paid regardless of hours worked.
- Transport to out-of-town contracts is provided, and salary increments paid
- Outstanding INSETT programme and CPD opportunities including free entry to the annual IH Torun International Teacher Training Day which attracts big names in the world of TEFL (past presenters include Adrian Underhill, Marjorie Rosenberg, Hugh Dellar and John Hughes)
- Chance to present and lead your own sessions at development sessions as well at the annual IH Toruń International Teacher Training Day and annual IHWO Online Conference
- Opportunities to take the IHCYLT (IH Certificate in teaching Young Learners and Teenagers) and the IHCAM (IH Certificate in Advanced Methodology) at heavily subsidised rates. This is open for 2nd year plus teachers at IH Torun
- Basic Polish lessons with a qualified Polish language teacher are provided in-school once a week
- All EU citizens are eligible for free national healthcare under the Polish health system. Teachers MUST bring a valid European Health Card with them. The cost of medication and dental care are not covered
- Shared accommodation in single bedrooms in a local, fully-furnished flat. All flats are within 20 mins walk of the school (some are even closer). All bills are paid for, except the monthly bill for WI-FI connection
- Return flights from within Europe. The one way ticket is reimbursed at the start of the contract and again at the end of the contract
- All teachers returning to IH Torun receive a monthly increment of 10% on top of their basic salary