International House London, a registered charity, operates a leading independent language school and training organisation based in Covent Garden, London. We are joining our modern languages and executive language centres together to form a new department.
Founded in 1953, International House is widely recognised as the birthplace of modern approaches to English language teacher training. It is renowned for its excellence in teacher training as well as in the delivery of adult English, young learner and soft skills programmes, both in the UK and abroad. IH London is an affiliated member of International House World Organisation, a network of more than 150 independent language schools in 50 countries, although operates independently within the organisation.
We are now seeking a Specialist English Academic Manager responsible for the efficient delivery of courses and classes with a focus on Executive English. We have just obtained 14 out of a possible 15 strengths in our British Council inspection; we need someone to embed the changes made to get this grade and to take them forward to this Autumn’s Eaquals and IH World Inspection.
If you are interested in one of the world’s most revered English Language educational brands, please submit a CV and a covering letter, to Eleanor.firstname.lastname@example.org describing how you meet the specification for the role.
- To manage and coordinate the effective delivery of Specialist English Courses, including 1 to 1s and Business English group courses.
- To provide appropriate support and guidance to learners / course participants to ensure that they have a positive learning experience.
- To provide educational and administrative support to assist staff in maintaining high educational and professional standards.
- To enhance the reputation of International House and raise the profile of both International House London and the International House World Organisation.
- To ensure the IHL policy and procedures are followed concerning executive centre students.
- Course delivery, both educationally and administratively including effective day-to-day management of staff and students for Specialist English courses, including:
- Organising administration for the different types of courses (one to one and groups, on site and off site, from the signed proposals to post-course feedback)
- Making arrangements to test/assess clients place them; produce registers (Google Drive) and course programmes (Moodle).
- Maintaining and updating client details on SchoolWorks.
- Maintaining the Teachers’ database in SchoolWorks.
- Teacher feedback systems.
- Academic Resources for all specialised corporate courses.
- Timetabling and payroll: allocating teachers to all corporate clients and room booking.
- Staffing duties including allocating courses and agreeing leave etc.
- Teacher observation and appraisals as part of the professional development programme.
- Scheduling for teacher / trainer observations as part of the professional development programme.
- Induction of new teachers and assist with the provision of in-service staff development.
- Monitoring teachers Moodle pages and progress reports.
- Reporting provision and liaising with Sales and Marketing.
- Administrative support for all intakes, including dealing with enquiries (English and ML), taking and processing bookings.
- Moodle for corporate clients: creating and managing of all pages; mail merge the guide students to self-enrolment.
- Meeting corporate clients at different stages: sale, planning and renewal.
- Deputise, where appropriate, in the absence of the Head of the Department.
- Coordinating the delivery of any Business English exams.
The above represents a general outline only and is likely to be adapted to meet the changing needs of the School.
The following essential:
Experience and knowledge:
- Experience of educational management.
- Experienced ELT and Business English professional.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Ability to work flexibly and as part of a team.
- Ability to organise and manage workload.
- Confidence to take initiative and work autonomously.
- Strong IT skills, including ability to work with databases and LMS.
- Diploma level qualification or equivalent i.e. Cambridge Delta or Trinity Diploma TESOL.
The following skills and experience are desirable:
- Experience of managing and supporting experienced ELT professionals
- Experience of preparing tenders and proposals
- Knowledge of Schoolworks